Search Engine Optimization – the form of internet marketing that puts you in front of people eyes RIGHT when they need you. Ask any NY SEO company, search engine optimization is a true replacement of overpriced phone book advertising. Search engine optimization consists of optimizing on website and off website elements to make your website become most relevant in the search engine’s eyes, for the keywords that you want to appear in searches for. For example, a Rochester, NY plumber, would want to appear in the search results of “rochester plumber” “rochester ny lumber” etc.
However, the keywords that you think you should rank for in you Search Engine Optimization Efforts, may not be the best. We’ll cover that below.
On to the 5 SEO Basics That Will Help You Take Over The Competition
- Search for Google’s Keyword tool – the SEO step one. This is a major tool that you can use to find out what people are searching for, and how often. This will help you decide which keywords to target in your SEO campaign. On the local level, this does not work that great for towns. However, it does provide some insight and can give you ideas. If a term does not show results, such as “Newburgh plumber” then widen your area and search again for “hudson valley plumber”. Then try variations variation using that area – “leaking pipes hudson valley”, “boiler installation hudson valley” “hudson valley furnace installation”. Be careful when widening your area, though. You do not want to optimize for a term that may not be as effective for you. For example, if you’re in the lower part of the region and don’t service the full area, then you’ll be getting leads on the site that are of no use to you.Determining keywords is an art and science, and probably one of the best tasks to leave to an expert.
- Title Tag – No, not ‘Mr’ or ‘Mrs’. While search engines don’t care about the marital status of your website pages, they do care what the pages are about. Title tags are your first optimization pieces in your SEO efforts. Try to put your keyword first in the title, then something descriptive and eye catching. Also, choose only one keyword for each page. Remember, this is as much for people, as it is for search engine optimization. The content in the title tag it what shows up as the title in the search engine results. Make it 60 characters or less, and have it be relevant to the people you want to find the results.
- Meta Tag(s). The only truly important meta tag is the description tag. You might hear people talk about meta keywords and the like, if you do, nod politely as they speak and you now have permission to start tuning them out. Meta keywords have not mattered for a long time.
- Headings help you twice over for SEO. Heading tags – h1, h2, h3, h4 – not only help you format your text, but they also make your page easier to read, and are apart of what search engines look at when deciding what your page is about. Using them correctly is important to your SEO efforts, though. There should be (1) instance of the h1 heading. In this you set the topic of the page. Followed by h2 tags used to tell what sections on the page are about, and h3 tags within those sections, and so and so forth. Use the keyword for the page or variations of it in your title tags. Make sure the page is still clear and easy to read, though.
- Content is King of Search Engine Optimization efforts. The content of your site is the other main factor in determining what your page will rank for. Use your keywords naturally throughout the content, particularly in the first paragraphs of the page.
- Now to the offsite SEO, submission time. Once you have made your website design search engine optimized, you can move to the off website factors. The first and foremost being search engine website submission. Search on Google, Bing, and Yahoo!, on how to have your site added to be crawled and indexed.
- Backlinks are the SEO consultants best friend. Natural backlinks are the bff of Search Engine Optimization efforts. Backlinks are simply – links back to your website from another site. Relevant backlinks show Google that you matter. The easiest way to start is by getting your site in online directories like MerchantCircle, YellowPages, ExpressUpdate.com, Yelp, and any others that you can find. Fill out full profiles on these sites when applicable, and be sure to include your main keyword(s).
What does matter is that you include a meta description tag on each page of your website, telling what the page is about in 155 characters or less. Once again, this is what shows up in the search results, so this is as much for people, as it is for search engines, and try to make sure your keyword for the page is in the beginning sentence.
Search Engine Optimization is very important for every site. You’ve spent time, money, and resources creating a site, and now it’s time to put it to work for you!